Category:Isle of Man, Peel: St. Patrick's Isle
From The Viking Age Compendium
|Isle of Man, Peel: St. Patrick's Isle|
More sites pages
- Status- Accepted
- Type- Burial
- Find Date- excavated between 1982 and 1987
- Bodies- 7 graves with accompanied grave goods. 5 adult and 2 child burials.
- Dated to- first half of the C10th
- Adult female (84.16/L (483))
- woolen dress probably with a tablet woven sash, possible sprang head-dress (or possibly a bag?), down filled leather pillow [GRAHAM CAMPBELL 2002:p.86]
- iron roasting spit
- 3 knives (2 with handles inlaid with silver wire)
- a pair of shears
- antler comb
- 2 needles
- miniature pestle and mortar of limestone
- necklace of 2 amber beads and a pierced ammonite.
- necklace of 71 beads of coloured glass, amber and jet.
- Adult male? (84.16/L (420))
- silver penny (939-46AD)
- copper-alloy ringed pin with a polyhedral head probably used to fasten a cloak.
- 18 woven silver wire balls. Probably used to decorate a fringed cloak.
- D shaped buckle with a decorated plate. Found just above the right knee and probably used to secure the body in the shroud.
- Adult (85.60/L (595))
- 4 silver wire balls. Again probably a fringe ornament of a cloak or shawl (they were found at the pelvis and right wrist).
- Adult male? (85.60/L (1155))
- curved lidded chest
- ringed pin
- linen cloak or shroud
- strap end and buckle from a belt
- traces of a comb, possible awl.
- Adult (84.16/L (629))
- belt buckle with decorated plate, strap end
- iron knife in a leather sheath.
- child (85.60/L (682))
- silver half penny (946-55AD)
- child (84.16/L (757))
- small bell, 6 glass beads, 2 amber beads
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category ‘Isle of Man, Peel: St. Patrick's Isle’
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category ‘Isle of Man, Peel: St. Patrick's Isle’
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.