Category:England, Nottinghamshire: Nottingham
From The Viking Age Compendium
|England, Nottinghamshire: Nottingham|
More sites pages
See also Viking burials found in England
- Status- Possible
- Find date- 1851
- Bodies- Possibly burial of 2 Male warriors. 2 skulls and other human remains
- Dated to- Graham-Campbell quotes Hall's proposed post AD 918 date based on the 2 swords.
- Museum- British Museum Tr. 158
- Discussion- Evison has confirmed the sword as a later type Y and not a type L as it appears in the picture [Graham-Campbell 2001]:p.106. Graham-Campbell notes that there is no evidence that the two swords were actually found with the spear [Graham-Campbell 2001]:p.106 and suggests that this explains the possible discrepancy of the sword's later C10th / C11th topological dating to the spears earlier C9th traditional dating. I would suggest that the cut off date for the Petersen type C-D spearhead is too early and that Ottonian manuscripts dating to the early C11th still show this type of spear in use. This would help support a C10th century date for the two graves.
- Archaeological Journal, 1851, vol 8, pp 424-5 (Available Online)
- Grave goods
Media in category ‘England, Nottinghamshire: Nottingham’
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.