Category:England, Oxfordshire: Oxford
From The Viking Age Compendium
|England, Oxfordshire: Oxford|
More sites pages
See also Viking burials found in England
Also known as Magdalen Bridge
- Status- Discredited [Graham-Campbell 2001] Disputed [Blair & Crawford 1997]
- Find Type- River Find (River Cherwell, Oxford)
- Find date- AD 1884
- Bodies- Men and horse skeletons found by dredging?
- Dated to- C9th by Stirrup style
- Museum- Ashmolean Museum [1886, 443-47]
- Archaeologia Vol. 71 (1920-21) p.253 (not available)
- Grave goods 1884 - dredging in the river under Magdalen Bridge
- Grave goods 1886 - cutting back the island below Magdalen Bridge
- Stirrups (Pair) - [1886.443, 444] - Wheeler Class C / Rygh 590. Not actually a pair, different in decoration and size.[Seaby 1950]:p.38 Dated by Jan Petersen to AD 950-1000 [Seaby 1950]:p.39
- Stirrup - [1886.445] dated to AD 1000-1125. [Seaby 1950]:p.39 C11th-12th [Blair & Crawford 1997]:p.138
- Horseshoe - [1886.446] dated to late medieval [Seaby 1950]:p.40-41 [Blair & Crawford 1997]:p.138
- Shears - [1886.447] dated to C11th [Seaby 1950]:p.39, C10th-11th [Blair & Crawford 1997]:p.137
- Spur - [1886.1232] dated to c.1000 [Blair & Crawford 1997]:p.137
Media in category ‘England, Oxfordshire: Oxford’
This category contains only the following file.
- Ashmolean Stirrups - M...